Thursday, April 11, 2013

The continuing spar stock story

Again sometime since the last blog entry. 

The Easter days were to cold to launch the Pilot.  Two days ago the weather forecast showed no serious nightly freezing temps anymore so we went up North to launch the boat.  After attaching some muffling material on the underside, the engine hatch was put on the boat with a nice snug fit. We did not yet made a test run to see whether the noise insulation had improved.

Back home I continued with the spars. 

First I made a test fit of the sail on mast, boom and yard. With my previous built Fearing the upper part of the sail was larger than the yard.

Somebody not being me had screwed up in communicating dimensions with the sail maker...


Also this test fit was necessary to locate the holes for the various holes for rigging.

Next I continued sanding the mast with a reversed belt from my stationary band sander.
The mast is not exactly round but sufficiently fit for use.






Next I fitted a 38mm round dowel at the bottom of the mast to fit in the mast step.

Arch Davis uses spar varnish for coating.

After some thoughts I am going to use
Deks Olje.  Officially Deks is for use on hardwoods but I have used Deks on the Oregon Pine spars of my Fearing without any problems so on these White Pine spars I do not expect any problems.

To be honest I hate applying varnish with all these layers....

No comments:

Post a Comment