Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The last plank is on!

Today I managed to get the last plank on. It was a bit more work than anticipated. First of course bevelling the stringers and making the gains. Afterwards fine tuning the planks. As the tools were getting blunt I had to sharpen chisel and plane. Finally making the scarf. With last few scarfs I use the sander to finetune the scarf. Less risk to damage the edge of the scarf. And to top it of I did some messing around with epoxy.....

Tomorrow we will see whether everything went fine.

There is a slight complication because something went wrong with my electrical screw driver. It cannot reverse anymore. So tomorrow I have to remove all screws by hand.

My brother who follows this blog phoned me on the topic of removing bad screws. He is a car afficionada who already has restored two Jensen twoseaters so mostly I follow his technical advise. He told me to use a "left turning bit" that bores in the screwhead, gets stuck and then gets the screw out. Apparently that is the way to remove rusty parker screws from cars. Keep you posted.

The coming days will be cleaning the outside of the hull, some sanding and do the preparation for making the laminated false stems.

No comments:

Post a Comment