Thursday, January 3, 2013

Getting the oarlocks in

The New Year did start well with a trip up North for a few days.  A lot of work to do in the garden but also my plan was to get the oarlocks in.

First I had to drill a hole for the pot.  First I drilled a 16 mm hole for the depth of the pot.  As the oarlock itself is longer than that I continued with 12 mm.  The last part was drilled to 6 mm for draining.


The pot is bronze and not exact in size so I had to fiddle a little with a small rasp to get it in.

The bronze screws I pre drilled by hand.





The end result is nice. 
I will put a cord on the oarlock to avoid it falling out.


 

The sleeves have still to be put on the oars but if the weather would have been nicer I could have gone for a row!





Things still to be done are:

-    making of the spars
-      final coating of the thwarts
-    hanging of the rudder
-    rigging
-    re-shaping the daggerboard as it is slightly to bulky to get into the slot

So, enough to do but most things require a better temperature for gluing or painting.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to see the 'Pakesizzer' on the water when we are in Fryslân in April!

    ReplyDelete