Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spar stock continued again...

The weather has been far from ideal the last week.  Around freezing point and strong winds fro m the east.  That weather will continue for the coming days.  You almost want to have global warming this way.

The third layer of the mast is glued at last and I cut the corners of mast on the table saw with the blade at a 45 deg angle.

After cutting the mast as far as possible to a 58 mm square I started to drill a few holes to make room for the halyard sheave.  It is better to do it now before the mast is round.

I have the feeling the sheave I bought ages ago is a bit large but that's what I have so that's what I will use.

 I also made the jaws for the boom that will go around the mast.  As I had no white pine left I used larch. The grain looks quite straight and just let's hope it is not to brittle.

Now a lot of planing with a hand plane to get mast and yard round.

Next is sanding using an inversed sanding belt from my stationary band sander.

The off topic motor hatch is almost ready.

I filled the groves with blackened epoxy.  The epoxy was a bit thick viscous so not all groves are filled to the same level. 

After a lot of sanding the hatch looks nice from a distance.
Eastern will be spend up North. Usually my Pilot will go into the water at the Friday before Eastern. Looking at the weather that will be a few days later.  No sense to start the season with frozen water valves.

No comments:

Post a Comment