Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Continuing Story of Varnishing

The last week I have been varnishing the tiller, rudder and daggerboard.

Bit difficult to see on the picture with all light coming through the windows of my workshop at our new home.

I first lightly sanded tiller and rudder and clamped them in my two bench vices. 

The tiller could be clamped at the part that goes into the rudder so I could varnish the whole tiller in one process. The rudder I first clamped at the cheeks so I could varnish the rudder blade.

After that two layers of high-gloss PU and one layer of satin gloss PU were applied. Each layer with 24 hours of curing time.

Now I have clamped the rudder blade as to varnish the cheeks and I also clamped the daggerboard at the handle as to varnish the board itself. 

The first layer of high-gloss is now on so two more days to finish rudder and thereafter three days to finalize the grip of the daggerboard.

After finishing the rudder I will also start with the daggerboard cap that I made.

Finalizing a boat can be a long term process. I still have to find time to go up North to start varnishing and paint the outside of the hull. My objective is still to row the Peapod before the end of the season.  That implies a total bulding time of one year. Longer than anticipated, but moving house twice and partly building on two locations did not help.

The mast, boom and gaff will be done this winter and in december I will go to a sailmaking course at the Bootbouwschool to make my own sail.

No comments:

Post a Comment