Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thwart and seats

Today work on the thwart and seats was started.

First I started with making a mold for the thwart using a tick stick to get the form of the hull on the mold.

In the process I noticed that the thwart beams were not parallel for some unknown reason. Must have done something wrong.  The results is that my widest stock of 290 mm does not give the 10 mm overlap on both sides I was aiming for.

If I cannot get easily wider stock I will use it anyhow en give only overhang at the backside.


Next I used a tick stick again to get the right shape of the side seats.  there I noticed that the thwart beam and the two seat beams in the rear are not in one plain.  I can't figure out what was done wrong but now have to search for a corrective action.

I thought making the seats would be fun and an easy job......

For the middle part of the rear seat I need more
stock.


I also started with the front seat. 

First I made the mast partner that will be fastened below the front seat.

Also I made the other parts of the front seat.

Those part need some refining. First I need to make a support beam under the seat to make it possible to fasten the centre parts of the seats.

Tomorrow I will check of my "local"  supplier can deliver wider red cedar. Otherwise I hve to go to the original supplier in Arnhem. somewhere the coming week.

Also I will try to use my router to get a nice round edge to the seat planks.

1 comment:

  1. You mention that the beams for the side seat are not in one (flat) plane. I can see this in plan drawings and. So is the side seat plank bent down when screwed down on middle beam? I can see in my own boat construction its not going to lie flat.

    ReplyDelete