Monday, January 9, 2012

Test fitting 4th plank

The new week started with working on the boat.

First I again sharpened my plane and chisel. It is amazing how quickly they get dull on the plywood.

Now it was possible to improve the bevel and gains. Of course the angle of this plank is easier than the garboard one.

Making the first long part of the plank was relatively easy. The second part caused a problem however.

I had cleary marked the scarf joint were the planks overlap but forgot to add the 38 mm scarf width. Consequently I cut the plank 38 mm short.  I had to use a new piece of ply to get the good one.

Now I am not so sure I have enough ply in stock to finish the planking. It would be a bit silly to buy a new 122 x 244 cm ply for such a short piece of plank.

In the picture both parts are screwed on the boat but not yet scarfed.

Due to other business I hope it will be feasible that the 4th plank will be scarfed and glued on Friday next.

By the way I succeeded in getting the epoxied screw out by heating the screw bit with the heatgun. If you put it on the screwhead after heating it just makes the epoxy soft enough to get grip on the screwhead.

Maybe next time I will remove al screws after curing.

No comments:

Post a Comment