Thursday, February 16, 2012

Laminating the stem facings (3)

I would not call it dry today but dry enough to rip the laminations.  First I cut a 350 cm long board to 45 mm width on my tablesaw.  Next I cut 4 mm thick strips in two runs as my blade is no high enough to do it in one go.  Also it will give less heat that could scorce the wood.

That worked reasonably well.

After cutting the strips to the required length I put the strips through the thickness planer to get them to 3 mm.

The blades of the planer need urgently some sharpening so the result was reasonable but not fantastic.  But good enough for laminating I think.


Next I did a dry run on the mold.

Finally messing about with epoxy and putting the clamps on.

The outside temp is around 8 degrees C.  The epoxy was stored inside the house so on high enough temperature.  The electric heater is on for a few hours. Everything OK for good curing of the epoxy.

Tomorrow we will see the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment