Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Laminating the stem facings (5)

Of course there was just not enough epoxy to finalize the front stem facing.

Yesterday I went to Amsterdam to the epoxy shop.  As it is a 50 km ride I also bought amongst others epoxy resin to seal the boat in the future.

After that I made the lamination.

This morning I got the lamination from the mold and did the first cleaning and shaping.
The test fit showed too lare a gap.  I also checked the lamination with the full size drawing and that was a better fit.

Apparently somewhere in the process I have done something wrong with the stem shape.

After spot shaving and brute force the fit was sufficiently good to epoxy.




Sufficiently good is of course not good enough but what else to do.  The good thing of epoxy is its gap filling properties.

Now waiting 24 hours to see the end result.

I am almost at the stage where I will not continue with the boat in view of my house move at the end of March.  I think the boat is best transported on the jig. 

So no festive hull turning yet.

Next step is getting through to drawings to establish what I can do with the remaining ply.  So I will try to cut parts for the daggerboard case and floorboards.

I basically don't want to transport scrap.  Thereafter it will be cleaning out the shed and start sorting out and packing tools. Will be interesting what I find. Although I have this shed for less than two years a person accumulates...

No comments:

Post a Comment