Monday, August 6, 2012

First coat of high gloss varnish

This morning we went up to the North again for a couple of days to relax, some gardening and to work on the Peapod.

Yesterday night I woke up with the thought that I had made no draining holes in the flotation bottoms.  So first thing to do was drilling some holes and put epoxy on the hole edges and also on the rest of the bottoms.

Next step was some fine sanding of the epoxy parts to be varnished.
The varnish I use is polyurethane two component high-gloss.  Luckily I noticed in time that this varnish is mixed 1 : 3  in stead of the 1 : 2 of all other stuff.

I will apply two coats of the high-gloss and after that one coat of satin-gloss.

After mixing the magic potion again has to pre-react for 30 minutes.  Good thing because it enabled me to watch the finish of the Laser Radial final on London 2012 and see a Dutchwoman win silver!

Applying the first layer went quite smooth. Because of the sanding you can see were you have to put on the varnish.  The second layer can be applied after between 24  and 48 hours without sanding so that one will be more tricky.

Now 24 hours time before the next layer.  Maybe I will put in the flotation when the varnish is not sticky anymore.  I will need some parallel processing to reduce throughput time :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment