Thursday, August 23, 2012

Tiller and rudder

After laminating the tiller first one of the cheeks has to be glued to the rudder.  This "half assy" will be the mold for cutting the tennon that will fitt between the rudder cheeks.

Before that the inside of the tiller hole has to be coated in epoxy.

Apparently I had made the laminations to thin or the hole between the cheeks to large with the same net effect that the tiller had a loose fit.

As a quick and dirty remedy I glued one short laminate on top of the tiller. Later after sculpting the tiller it will be less noticable.


Now I could cut the tiler tenon for a snug fit and glue on the other cheek.

You will have noticed that  I still have to cut the foil shape for the rudder blade.  Also the tiller itself is in need of some TLC.

I checked with Arch Davis whether the snug fit of the tiller in the rudder would be enough. 

Quickly as ever he responded that it would be sufficient and any case the lines that raise and lower the rudder blade will keep the tiller in place. Now I had decided in my ultimate wisdom to make a fixed rudder....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment