Saturday, August 18, 2012

Seats coated in epoxy

I went op North for 2 days to mowe the lawn and work on the boat.

The bungs in the seats were removed, the seats lightly sanded and a layer of epoxy applied.

After a few hours when the epoxy was still sticky I did put on the next layer. Now the epoxy has to cure for at least 48 hours before I can sand it again and the polyurethane varnish van be applied.  Work for the next trip.

There was a small quantity of the white polyurethane paint left so I decided to paint already the top of the stems. That is a place a bit difficult to get at when the boat has been turned.

As there was no workable work on the hull I continued with the rudder.

I smoothed the top of the rudder stock and screwed on both rough cut cheeks. Those cheeks are made out of remaining pieces of mahogany. A bit heavy but I hope it looks better than the plywood Arch David is using. The rudder was then put on the router table to machine the cheeks to the right shape of the rudder stock.


As I don't know when I can go up North again I packed the rudder parts, wood for tiller and thwart knees, some tools and an epoxy kit in the car. I can continue to work on these parts at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment