Friday, December 9, 2011

First plank glued

After Saint Nicholas I suffered from a bad flu. Not done anything usefull for a few days but changing the router and splitter on my internet connection. As usual getting it running again was a problem.  In the end the old trick of a hard reset by switching the power of made all the difference. When will anything with computers become a mature business?

Today the fog in my head started to get away and I only needed to blow my nose every half hour so back to the shed.

I finished scarfing both parts of the first garboard and did a dry fit. A few minor adjustments and ready fot the epoxy.

I use epoxy with already a filler in it.  It should be mixed with harder  2 : 1  on weight for which I use a small electronic scale.

As always applying epoxy is a messy affair.


The plank is scarfed on the boat. First time I do it that way.  The scarf is extra clamped. Of course the wood I use to put the pressure on the scarf is covered with plastic to avoid gluing them to the boat (I hope).


As can be seen on the picture there are epoxy stains on the plywood. It seems to be impossible for me to avoid that. Removing the squeeze-out epoxy is the main culprit.

The electric heater is blowing in my shed to get a 15 degree C for curing.

Tomorrow we will see the result and will continue with the other garboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment