Thursday, December 1, 2011

Starting the first plank

This week not much work will be done on the Peapod. One of the reasons is Sinterklaas, (St Nicholas) the traditional Dutch Winter holiday figure who brings presents to childern on December 5th. Although the Netherlands are a small country bringing presents to all children is a big task so all parents are "helping" him.  My adult daughters still come home every year with their husbands for the celebration. Traditionally gifts should be accompanied by witty "poems" that make a fool of the person that gets a present. So a lot of work to do.

Back to business.  I cut the first banana shaped garboard with my jigsaw and made a test fit on the boat. As the ply is 244 cm long a scarf joint should be made to lengthen the plank. On the picture I am making that scarf. It is not finished yet and I am not yet happy with the process. Maybe I will make a test scarf before continuing with the real one. Also sharpening of the block plane will help.  


No comments:

Post a Comment