Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Preparing the second plank

The first plank (the garboard) was relatively easy. For the next planks a gain has to be cut and a lot of bevelling is necessary. Cutting the gain where the next plank lies at the stem took some time. Apparently my chisels were not sharp enough to make a clean cut so I had to sharpen them. As I have no real rabbet plane I had to work around a bit. In the end the gains came out acceptable.  The stringers needed a lot of bevelling.  Due to the curvature of the stringer it is not positioned flat enough on the molds.

Next step was marking a piece of plywood to get the right form.


The Boss made a visit to the shed to check on the progress and to check I did not cut my fingers...





After cutting the plank with my jigsaw the finished product needed some corrective action. Especially getting a nice inner curve took some time with the spokeshave.







Contrary to the previous plank this time I only glued the first part of the plank on the boat. Of course the scarf is already prepared.
Next step is to make the second part of the plank and glue it to the boat. And afterwards do the same procedure for the other side of the hull.

No comments:

Post a Comment