Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Buying first batch of wood

As I could not easily source the required 12' x 11'' pieces of pine for the strongback I came up with a plan B.  In the local DIY megastore I bought a few 18 mm thick pine panels with a length of 250 cm. and a width of 250 mm and 40o mm.  The DIY store did cut the wood into the right width of 235 and 280 mm.  The off-cuts can be used for cleats and butt-blocks. As the design of the strongbacks already show two butt-blocks I thought that a few more wouldn't be a disaster. By the way the pine panels I use are glued together from 45 mm wide pieces so I think they will not warp. The other good thing is that now I could transport it in my own car.  I also bought a 1220 x 2440 x 12 mm sheet of plywood for the molds and the DIY store cut that in two pieces with a width of 60 cm.  Again making it transportable. The 60 cm width is enough for making the molds.


Coming friday I will travel to South Africa for a week so there will not be much progress the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment