Monday, October 31, 2011

Setting up the molds

First I made the cut in the front and aft of the strongback to be able in a further stage to remove these parts because it will block the seatrisers.


Next I finalized the last two molds by adding the cleats. To be sure I checked all the molds against the drawings and found one minor discrepancy. By moving a cleat a little bit out of the mold the problem was solved. (I hope)

Then the magic bit: putting the molds on the strongback. Even without the stringers it now begins to look like a boat!


In this stage I should be able to get the strongbak + molds out through the door. As soon as the stringers are on I will do the real acid test.

In the mean time I had mail contact with a well known supplier of specialty woods in Arnhem, the Netherlands. One of their staff is building a boat himself so I plan to go there tomorrow to get the wood for at least stems, stringers and keel.  Due to (non) availability of sizes my choice will probably be Western Red Cedar.  Bit expensive but it is for a good cause...

No comments:

Post a Comment