Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Shed

One of the reasons to build the Maine Peapod is it's size. My shed is located in my backgarden.  On the inside it measures only 4,85 x 3,35 meter (16' x 11'). We have to see whether it is really feasible to build the boat in this limited space.



Although my workbench takes up some width, the length will be the critical factor I assume. How to get from one side to the other of the building jig. Maybe a good idea to slim a little bit.  I don't want to think yet how to get the finished boat out of the door.


In preparation of the project I concluded that I need a new saw.
My old B&D mini bandsaw had a short circuit somewhere in the motor so in the end it had to be scrapped. Not worthwile to repair. I dropped my jigsaw (also B&D) on the floor sometime ago and now it is only very good in making random curves  :-)

Luckily I found a shop in my neigbourhood that had a DeWalt jigsaw for a reduced price so I went to the shop this morning.  Always nice to acquire a new "toy".   My assumption is that this jigsaw will do for the project. 



The only problem will be that now my wife who is into textiles will want to acquire some additional fabric or yarn to compensate for my extravaganza.

2 comments:

  1. I am fascinated by this 'shed'. I especially want to see (from a distance please) how the 'peapod' will be extracted through the door!
    Maybe a bit of modelling (with cardboar cutouts) will prevent a lot of heartache?

    HansT

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are suggesting an empirical way to check.
    By doing a quick mathematical check using Pythagoras I know that the distance between the farback corner and the nearest doorpost of the shed is more than 17'. That should be enough for a 12' boat on its side. To satisfy your curiosity I will do a check with the strongback as soon as it is ready. Hopefully it will not be an embarassing story......

    Hans

    ReplyDelete