Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Studying drawings

Today I started to study the plans and the booklet Arch has made on Building the Maine Peapod. Although the booklet gives a materials list I want to understand what I need for what. Also I don't intend to buy everything upfront.  Furthermore
I look at dimensions of individual parts to see what I can transport in my car and what should be delivered. Still lot of variables.

The actual buying will be done later as I am travelling for a week to South Africa later this month. So thinking, rethinking etc will be done the coming days.
Major decision point will be the choice of wood for the stems, stringers etc.


In the Wooden Boat  no. 222  article Arch Davis uses White Pine.  I think the official name is Pinus Strobus.  In  Europe that is called Weymouth Pine. Next thing is do is to check availability and pricing with a good woodmerchant. I know good ones in the Netherlands in Amsterdam and Arnhem. The Arnhem one has Weymouth on their website so I think I will pay them a visit in the near future.

But now first to the copyshop to get copies of all drawings. My workstyle can be a bit messy sometimes. Always good to have a fallback on these copies  :-) 

On the next blog entry I will tell something more about myself and my shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment