Wednesday, May 9, 2012

First badge on

The weather is getting better so only some work done in the shed early in the morning.

First I took all the screws out of the keel and bored the holes to 8 mm. After that I made sufficient bungs on the drill press and tried to glue them into the holes.  That was easier said than done.

It took me quite some time to get them in.  With softer wood they slide in relatively easy with a tap of a hammer.  Mahogony doesn't give in.  Apparently my bung drill is 8mm+ and my bore 8 mm-.  At last I succeeded.

Next step was sanding the first sheerstrake.  Reasonably good result.

I decided to glue in the first badge.  It is difficult to clamp the badge because of the breasthook.

Arch Davis suggests to use tiny nails at the stem side which I did.  To clamp the back end of the badge I used a nice contraption. Seems to work!

Now it is time to continue cleaning and sanding the side of my house. Depending on the weather I can maybe paint it tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Tomorrows's forecast looks 'a bit damp' (British understatement) for Fryslân. Friday is a better bet for outdoor painting.

    ReplyDelete