Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Keel

Now the intended name of the Peapod public is public my wife found a bib in a shop with the right name on it.  Will be cute with my grandchildren.

One of the floor boards was not perfect in. Apparently the ply did warp a little. When the glue was set the next morning there were some small gaps around but the floorboard did feel securely fastened. So I injected some epoxy around the edges.

To get a different perspective the boat was turned with help from my wife.

There is a lot of sanding to do before I can seal te epoxy but first I want to put a keel on the boat.

Arch Davis suggests in his notes to use a broad kevlar strip and set it in epoxy.

Although a good friend of my suggested me to take shares in  an epoxy company I am not that much an epoxy fan.

As I had a mahogany strip in store I decided to use that one.  Of course the keel has to be in two parts to keep the daggerboard slot open.

After some sculpting I first test screwed the keel on, did some minor adjustments and finallly glued / screwed the keel on.  Tomorrow I will get the screws out and bung the holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment