Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Details

Yesterday was the official birthday of our Queen.  A lot of parties and events throughout the country with a lot of people dressed in the colour orange. 

But now back to boat building and the phase of looking in and working on details.

First the second rub rail was glued and later on the screwholes bunged.

For the sheer strake molding (tiny rail placed at the downside of the sheerstrake) I drilled some 1 mm holes for 1.25 mm nails that I use for positioning the rails to cut them to the righ length and bevel at the ends.  Now these rails are test fitted on the boat with the nails just a few mm into the hull.  Next step is gluing the the rails to the boat and tap in and sink these nails.


Also I made the floorboards that are pieces of 4 mm ply that will be glued to the inside of the garboard between the thwarts.  Arch Davis suggest to use contact cement to position the floorboards while the epoxy cures.  So going to buy contact cement.

Finally I made the oarlocks.  These are basically two blocks glued and screwd to the sheerstrake and sheer stringer.

Arch uses the same wood as the keel but the Red Cedar I am using is not thick enough and I did not think that Red Cedar would be a good choice.

Luckily I had some oak from my previous project so I started cutting it the right size on my table saw.

At first I used a handsaw to make the various cuts. Normally I am addicted to my japanese saw but now I used the saw that my father used.

The first oarlock was allright but the second one was not good enough so I made a new one now using the tablesaw for some cuts. More accurate but also more noise.

After that I bored holes in the block, rounded the edges and test fitted them in the boat.

Not bad at all. Now first buy some oarlock fittings. I want to drill the holes for the fittings on the drillpress before gluing the blocks permanently to the boat.

If you are wondering what happened to the daggerboard trunk, I just gave the inside a third coat of epoxy.  Maybe a bit excessive but al least sufficiently sealed.




No comments:

Post a Comment