Friday, April 13, 2012

Cleaning the inside

Cleaning the inside is a nasty job.  As stated in previous blogs I am a bit messy with epoxy.  My wife would state that the same applies to food. Most of my sweaters have food stains.  In a previous life the same applied to ties.

My principle with epoxy is that there should be enough epoxy used to get a nice squeeze out.

Of course that implies that after clamping you have to clean the surfaces.
The problem however in my previous shed was that it was small and stuff was stored under the boat. As a consequence the underside (inside when you build wrong side up) was not very well cleaned.  Learning moment for the next project.

The cleaning is done with a scraper and heatgun but I don't want to weaken the joints so also a lot has to be done with sanding.

I am now halfway with cleaning and to get some fun back into boatbuilding I started with the breasthooks. The two breasthooks were roughly cut from red cedar on the table saw.

After that I measured the various bevels with a bevel gauge and transferred them to the breasthooks.

Cutting the angles was done with a jig saw.Doing it on the table saw is too dangerous for my fingers and I don't have a band saw. Even with my DeWalt it is difficult to cut a perfect angle. So some adjusting is needed.  Until now the fit is not good enough.  Continuing tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment