Friday, April 27, 2012

Daggerboard slot cut

After quite some thought I finally took my cordless dril made a number holes through the keel for the daggerboard slot.

It is a strange feeling to cut a hole in your boat isn't it?

With the jig saw I cut out the slot.

When testing with the daggerboard trunk it looked reasonably well.  Some minor trimming to do.


Next was gluing the first rub rail. My wife gave me a hand because handling a long skinny rail smeared with epoxy in a responsible way is not my forte. It came out nice. I used a few screws for initial positioning and later added a lot of clamps.  The other one tomorrow.



I continued with my idea to solve the daggerboard grip issue. I made two identical mahogany curved pieces to add to the pieces already on the daggerboard.

Tomorrow I will glue them on and with a bit of sanding it will be a good grip,be it a little heavy.


Next I cleaned and sanded the halves of the daggerboard trunk. 

The were finished of with a coat of epoxy primer and one coat of real epoxy. After 24 hours of curing I will give it a light sanding and will apply the second coat.  Maybe after that even a third one. Be on the safe side.

Basically a very productive day. I even started sanding my wooden holiday home because it needs painting.  The weather forecast is rain for tomorrow so I can work in the shed on the Peapod in stead of continue working on the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment