Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Continuing story

Not much done today.  Of course further cleaning done but surely not yet finalized.

A 4 meter long piece of red cedar was ripped to get the rub rails on the table saw cutting at a 20 degree angle.  I tried to be clever but in the end the two rub rails are not fully identical.  When on the boat I don't think anyone will notice.

I did put the rails on the boat with screws to get a fit.  After gluing I will replace the screw holes with bungs.

It looks quite smart with the rub rails on.  Ripping the rub rails left me with a narrow piece of long cedar so I ripped that in two pieces to be used as sheer strake moldings.

I don't know yet how to get them on the boat. Arch Davis uses nails but I am afraid the red cedar will split.  Food for thought.

As cleaning the hull is not very inspiring work I looked for a more interesting job and after studying the drawings decided to start with the daggerboard trunk. First converting the dimensions from Imperial to Metric.  I use a very good website http://www.lenntech.nl/calculatoren/lengte/lengte.htm from a Dutch engineering firm for the conversion.

Enough work to do.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment